With the objective of facilitating and supporting the completion of Latin American and U.S. Hispanic feature film projects in post-production and propelling them towards their debuts on the international stage, Miami Encuentros 2013 will, for the first time in the program’s history, award a cash prize of USD$ 10,000 to one winning project, as selected by a jury of industry professionals. The prize is sponsored by EGEDA, the Audiovisual Producers’ Rights Management Association from Spain. In addition, Madrid/Barcelona-based International Sales Agency 6 Sales will offer a 2-year representation contract to a winning project, with the ultimate goal of securing worldwide distribution.
The five selected projects for Miami Encuentros 2013 are: ·
- All About the Feathers (Por las plumas) (Directed by Neto Villalobos)
- Produced by La Sucia Centroamericana Producciones, Costa Rica.
- Darwin’s Corner (El rincón de Darwin) (Directed by Diego Fernández Pujol)
- Co-produced by Transparente Films, Uruguay and O som e a furia, Portugal.
- En la caliente -The Cuban Music Revolution (Directed by Fabien Pisani)
- Produced by Mokongo Films, France.
- Gypsy River (Rio Cigano) (Directed by Julia Zakia)
- Co-produced by Cinematográfica Superfilmes Ltda & Gato do Parque, Brazil.
- Liz in September (Liz en septiembre) (Directed by Fina Torres)
- Produced by Ararare Films C.A., Venezuela.
A History of Successful Encuentros Projects
- 7 Virgins (7 virgenes) by Alberto Rodríguez, Spain – Nominated for six Goya awards and winner of one; won Silver Seashell at San Sebastian 2005
- Dog Eat Dog (Perro come perro) by Carlos Moreno, Colombia
- Gigante by Adrian Biniez, Uruguay / Argentina / Germany / Spain – Winner of the Silver Bear Berlin 2009
- Heartlift (Lifting de corazón) by Eliseo Subiela, Argentina – MIFF 2006 Opening Night Film
- Holy Girl (La niña santa) by Lucrecia Martel, Argentina – Screened at MIFF 2005; Official Selection 2004 Cannes Film Festival
- Lokas by Gonzalo Justiniano, Chile
- Madeinusa by Claudia Llosa, Peru – Screened at MIFF 2006; premiered at Sundance 2006.
- Rolling Family (Familia Rodante) by Pablo Trapero – Screened at MIFF 2005
- Satanas by Andi Baiz, Colombia – World Premiere at MIFF 2007
- Septembers (Septiembres) by Carles Bosch, Spain – World Premiere at MIFF 2007
For a complete list of past Encuentros participants, please click here.
2013 Encuentros Sponsors